Friday, April 30, 2010

Do this Instead


At Weight Watchers, our leader talked first about how when we learned how to drive we had to think everything through.  Think about it.  When you start your car now, and head off to wherever, do you really have to give it  a lot of thought to what you are doing?  No, you just do it.  It is the same with our eating habits.  We are on auto pilot most of the time, with a lot of what we do.  So now we must learn to "drive" a new way.

Let's start with something simple.  I can slather my veggies with butter...or I can spray some "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" on them.  I can have a bowl of ice cream or I can have a Skinny Cow fudge bar.  I can take the elevator or the stairs.  It's just little things like that.  I can eat six or seven cookies because there is yet another drama in my life, or I can listen to my body.  Am I hungry?  If I am truly hungry, I can stop a minute longer and think about what would satisfy that hunger.

So what did I do instead this week?  I took the stairs at the dentist office.  I went out twice this week and both times ordered the lighter choice.  I got up and did stuff--I know I have said this before but it bears repeating because I can be pretty lazy!  I chose "Weight Watcher Chocolate Chip Cookies" and they are yummy and one small point each. 

When we drive we know exactly how much gas to apply to the pedal to go at the right speed.  And we can do the same thing with our eating style.  We just have to retrain our brains.

What do you do instead?

Weight Lost:  2pounds
Total Loss:  14 pounds

6 comments:

Emmy said...

Plus the more you do it the more your body will just like it to.
Great job! Keep it up, congrats on 14 lbs total that is awesome!!

KK said...

You are so right and way to go!

mormonhermitmom said...

Well, my small town has maybe only one building with stairs. I'll have to find other "do insteads"
:)

Jenny said...

Hey, were you in my WW's meeting. That was kind of her theme, too.

I am just super-committed to writing everything down in my diary each day.

My husband and I actually check each others at the end of the day and then kinda/sorta nag if it wasn't completed.

It is definitely keeping me honest!

I've never done that diary past day three before.

Trina said...

I like the car analogy and I agree! Most of the time I mindlessly pop crap into my mouth without thinking. I must do better! Goof for you, taking the stairs!

N. Angail said...

Congrats on the weight loss. That is so true. you do have to retrain your brain to eat better.