It has been far too long since I posted in this blog. I had to wipe away cobwebs. And I even dusted in here. I must have burned a whole 2 calories doing that, right?
I had a rough day last Thursday. It ended up having a total melt down and bawling like an idiot when the straw finally broke the camels back. It doesn't matter (anymore) the reasons for my stress and mental collapse, it's all over and done with. And even better, it has been resolved. What's the point of all this chatter? Well when faced with adversity, what do you do? Do you run for cover? Do you face it head on? Do you knock over anyone standing in your way? Or do you turn to chocolate? Chocolate is one my most favorite healers. It's so soothing. Especially the dark stuff. It is healthier for you and it is proven that there is an ingredient in chocolate that makes us feel good. But how does it help us feel good if after consuming it, we are laden with guilt?
How do we combat emotional eating? Oh I wish I had the magic answer. The one that tells you how to do it, with promises that it will work every time. Sadly I do not. I have weapons though. Your weapons might different than mine. We are different. But I will share some here with you.
- Keep yourself at satisfied. Don't let your stomach get too empty. Make sure you eat breakfast every morning, a snack, lunch, a snack, dinner a snack. Remember it is okay to have that sweet treat. Just recognize the reason you are having it is for hunger.
- Recognize if it is true hunger before you reach for that snack. True hunger is the stomach is growling, sending a message to you to feed it.
- Would you eat an apple? If no, then food is not the answer.
In our WW meeting, we were asked to think of 10 things to do keep from emotional eating. So here are my ten.
- Get as far away from the food source as possible
- Do some deep breathing for a couple of minutes
- Sit and think for a moment about your physical self
- write it out...a letter(a blog) a journal
- call/email/text a friend
- distraction...clean something....heaven knows in my house that would keep me busy for days!
- Go through that pile of mail that is sitting on the desk
- Give yourself a manicure/pedicure
- Mom time out
- plug in the ear buds and listen to some calming music
What are your alternatives for stress eating?
Stressed is Desserts spelled backwards.