Friday, July 16, 2010

Measure of Success

How do we measure our success?  Is it by a scale?  Measuring our waistlines?  A lot of times we play a numbers game.  I know I do.  Especially where the scale is concerned.  I need to see this number in order to be acceptable.  And if I have a gain, I have failed.  But if I look at the big picture and see that I have had mostly losses along the way I can see that sometimes I lose a little, sometimes I lose nothing, and sometimes I lose a lot.  

I also finally started exercising.  I am not super committed to it yet, but I am doing worlds better than before.  That is a success.  Every time we do something to better ourselves it's a success! 

Do you know that the way we talk to ourselves is also a success?  Have you ever said, "Oh well, I already screwed up so I might as well throw the towel in?"  Or... maybe "I won't be able to lose that much anyway."  So what do we say instead?  "I messed up, yeah.  So I am going for a walk right now, and picking up where I left off"  "Those last 5-10 pounds will may hard, but I'm going to do it."

Our leader left us with this food for thought....


"Watch your thoughts, for they become your words.  Watch your words, for they become your actions."

What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

Trina said...

My thoughts have been the reason why I have been inactive and eating a bunch of crap lately. It is so easy to fall back into bad habits and stay there. It is more fun to watch TV then to go walking. It taste better to eat full fat pizza instead of fruits and veggies

I have learned that my one negative thought snowballs into an avalanche of bad habits. Slowly but surely I am climbing out from under this avalanche.

I just need to look at how far I have come and keep my eyes on the prize. Great post.

Kellie said...

I feel like I don't even know what success is anymore...I used to think it was the big house on the hill, the dream car, glitter toes, but those things aren't success, not even close. Now I think it has more to do with forgiveness and patience than anything else. But,certainly, if it's measured by my waistline these days, success is when it grows :)