Let's address the first one. Hormones! Hormones! Hormones! The higher levels of hormones cause this to happen. And while medicines like Ibuproferen helps with cramping and other noxious pains, it can contribute to water retention. So how do we fix it?
- Water! Believe it or not. Water and lots of it. Stay away from carbonated drinks. The air will make you gassy. I can do the water thing, but I am not giving up or staying away from my Diet Coke.
- Eat foods that are water based. Melons, berries, celery, lettuce. The good for you stuff...not the comfort food.
- Avoid caffeine. No matter how tired you are. Caffeine will aggravate the symptoms and make you more irritable. I'm ALWAYS irritable.
- Avoid foods high in sodium. I do this the night before each weigh in. I don't want that to be reflected on the scale. Even popcorn, which is a fantastic filling and good choice can show a gain.
- Avoid gas promoting foods.
- Exercise I have a hard enough time with this one under normal circumstances.
- Ask your doctor for a diuretic prescription.